Wednesday, December 19, 2012

We're off!



After six months of preparation, we loaded up ... without our trailer & with our new car ... and hit the road!
We downsized all of our belongings to what you see here and about 20 boxes left behind.  Setting out was exciting and humbling.  Exciting:  Six months of work for this moment!  Humbling:  the enormity of the opportunity ahead of us.

All of it is a journey through appreciation of my family who, from the moment I came up with the crazy idea to get rid of it all and go on a cross country adventure, has given me endless amount of support -- both the emotional kind and the practical kind.  From encouragement and love to sleeping bags, backpacks, and actually making an itinerary, I have a rock solid foundation of support behind me.

The free spirit begins with my mom and dad, of course.  The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.  Thirty years of showing us the wonders of the world paired with the conviction that "You have to do what makes you happy"(my mom) and "Do it your way" (my dad) planted the seed....

At its very core:  I want to offer my children the opportunity to experience the world in much the same way my parents offered me the opportunity to do so.  I don't know yet about the world, but I felt a sense of urgency to start something with my daughter fast approaching twenty.  I took the plunge to start with the country.  And I started in the only way I know how: get in the car and go.

That we have the added blessing to our family, Manuel, to help with the navigation, driving, and helping to keep our tribe safe and on track is just that ... a blessing.

And so we are off!

We bit off a 10+ hour drive yesterday to get to Mammoth Cave, KY, today.  There is so much to do!  We are starting today with a Wild Tour at Hidden River Cave.


2 comments:

  1. We're looking forward to meeting you upon your arrival in New Mexico! Jimmie & Wendell Wells

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We are looking forward to meeting you two as well! We're very excited!

    ReplyDelete