Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Bodie Ghost Town

We (Devin, my friend Bodi, mom, and I) went to Bodie Ghost Town in California (ironic, I know, Bodi in Bodie Ghost Town).  We had to drive over a three mile windy dirt road going at ten mph.  And before that we had to 

drive five hours from our house to Bodie.  Boredom Road.  Not to mention Carsick Lane.  And, of course, the pull-over-on-the-side-of-the-highway-behind-a-tree potty stop.  

Mom let me play on the Kindle Fire, but only for like two hours of the trip.  The rest of the time, I spent staring out the window and complaining to mom that I was bored and that I NEED to play on the Kindle.  When we finally got there, I thought it felt like forever.




 Anyway, we got there, and what we did next was really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, great.  We parked and got out of the car.  We had lunch which was a pbj sandwich with some apples. The thing we did there was cool too. We ran around the houses looking in the windows of the houses and taking in the details.  




After we got bored of that, we found a tin can, dug a hole, put the tin can in the hole,  put a bunch of old things we found like nails, wire, and pretty much all the things that could fit in the tin can in that tin can.  Then we made a an X on top and made, like, 20 arrows that were pointing to the X.  Then we got to the car.  Mom got a ticket for not paying the state park fee. And then we left, back down the three mile long windy dirt road at ten mph.

Thirty minutes later we were at our camp site:  a cabin with two beds, no heater, a door with many holes and air leaks, and, of course, no running water.  Oh, I almost forgot, we had stinging nettle in our back yard, and guess what.  I got it within thirty minutes after arriving to the camp site.  It felt like ten wasps were stinging me all over my leg.


 We played with sticks, we played with sticks, we made a fire, we had dinner, one hot dog, we played with sticks, we went to bed, we talked, we got cold, we slept, we woke up, we got cold, we went to sleep, we woke up, we got cold, we fell asleep, we woke up, and stayed that way for the rest of the day.

One guy told us about some hot springs and we were into it.  We decided we would go, after breakfast.  We went to the camp site restaurant.  We got pancakes the size of hubcaps. And I was like oh. my. GOD.  Those must be the second biggest pancakes I’ve ever seen!

 And we’re off!  Into the car, out of the camp site, on the road!   On the.... Dirt road.  When we got there, we had to climb down a steep rocky hill to get to the hot springs.  There were three pools, all were no deeper than your knee.  The first one is so hot you can only stay in it for a minute at a time.  Second pool was hot tub temp, so about 100 degrees.  The third pool was about heated pool temp, so about 70 to 80 degrees.  We stayed there until our feet looked like albino old guy’s feet.

Hot Springs right next to cold creek





On the way back we got to sit with the trunk open.  We sat in the trunk over the back bumper.  We stopped along the way and got sticks to drag out of the car.  We made dirt wakes with the sticks and then we pretended they were boats in a race.  It’s more fun than it sounds.

Honk if you are a Trecosta and this reminds you of Norway and
maroon Peugeot!

We went down town to Bridgeport, CA, and got tacos and ice cream for lunch.  We looked around in some stores and we eventually found something we could hurt each other with but was still fun to do; rubber band guns.  They were $16.96, and I didn’t know whether to get it or not.  So I decided to decide tomorrow.

When we got back to the camp, we played with sticks, gathered sticks, played with sticks, made a fire, played with sticks, gathered sticks, ate the best camping dinner; steak cooked on tin foil in the fire in the fire pit, played with sticks, brushed our teeth, went to bed, we talked, turned out the light, talked, fell asleep, woke up, got cold, fell to sleep, woke up for the rest of the day.



That morning we went to that restaurant, and I got chocolate chip pancakes.  After that we went to Bridgeport.  We looked in that one store that had the rubber band guns.  Bodi and Devin were going to get them, and I couldn’t resist getting it so I got the cheapest one.  Unfortunately, all of the guns have names painted on the side.  Devin and Bodi’s had ‘Deputy.’  Not me.  The cheapest one had “Little Swabby” on it.  I just figured that I could paint it, so I got it.  I found out the easy way (I shot Bodi and Devin), that they sting a lot.

It was time for one more stop:  a trip to Mono Lake!  At Mono Lake we did a rubber band gun fight without rubber bands because we thought they would get lost in the windy, sandy, rocky, bushy, and big open space.  We played there for a while with our rubber bandless rubber band guns.










And now it was time for Boredom Road.  Carsick Lane.  And the pull-over-on-the-side-of-the-highway-behind-a-tree potty stop.  Yep, the long five hour drive back home .  Five hours of boredom (with the exception of Kindle).  Five hours of car sickness (with the exception of not being carsick).  Five hours of having to use the bathroom (with the exception of the pull-over-on-the-side-of-the-highway-behind-a-tree potty stop!)

Finally back home.....   I'M BORED!!!

THE END
**This post is by Timothy Barfield -- Please help me celebrate his first contribution!**

11 comments:

  1. Great post! I read a little, took a break, read a little, looked at the pictures, got cold, fell asleep, woke up, read a little, read a little, fell asleep, woke up, and stayed that way for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are gorgeous!!! And Timothy you sound just like mom with your jokes. And of course you guys played with all those sticks. And no kindle. AT LEAST YOU HAD BLANKETS and not sheets of aluminum to sleep under! Also those hot springs sound awesome. I wish I could have gone!

    Love you Stink Head

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Mel read this and loved it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Despite all of the boring parts, it sounds and looks like you all had a great time! Good thing there were so many sticks to play with, although I think the rubber band guns were pretty cool. Smart thinking to go bandless in the windy open space. Bodie seems like the perfect friend to bring to Bodie... To the point, yet descriptive writing. Great job Timothy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very colorful writing and fun to read. Nice job, Timothy, for your 1st posting. Do more! Now get Devin to write and post an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness Timothy! That was laugh out loud funny & so detailed and informative! You're going to give your mom some competition on blog-writing! I feel like I was with you guys! I have to admit....
    1) I'm picturing how 4 of you fit into 2 twin beds!
    2) I'm wondering where the first biggest pancakes were that you've had!
    3) HONK
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing writing from you Timothy. Really impressed. That homeschooling thing must be working out well! I really felt I was on that road trip, including the carsick part. Have fun and keep writing Timothy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another adventure. Your lives are full of adventures! We sure loved the postcard from Mono Lake as well. I love ghost towns!!! (Or Bodie town).

    See you soon!
    Eileen and Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Timothy! Thanks for sharing your "boring" story! (haha) Just kidding - it was great; very well written!

    Love, Cousin Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredibly boring story of excitement! Camping, fires, camp food, pancakes as big as hubcaps, ghost town, massive crazy lake, hot springs, rubber band gun fights, desperate living conditions, long boring rides through the sierra mountains, having to pee on trees! Oh, the humanity of it all! You must write more the world need to get a glimpse of sacrifices. Tonight I will be cold, fall asleep, wake up, read a little, fall asleep, wake up, and stay that way for the rest of the day. Great job, Timothy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a fun adventure even for me as the reader. Nice job! I'd love to do the same tour soon! John T.

    ReplyDelete